Undergarments are too often overlooked in men's clothing, but how your undergarments fit and the lines that they create is the foundation for how the rest of your clothes will look. Furthermore, men's underwear makes a big difference in how you feel in your clothes.
Here's what you need to know about performance boxer briefs and how they can make a difference in your professional (and everyday) wardrobe.
Boxers or Briefs?
The age-old question of boxers or briefs may not have a straightforward answer. Since boxers came out in the early 1920s, and briefs followed them only about a decade later, men have had to choose between the two styles.
The choice has evolved to have connotations outside of practicality. Wearing men's boxer briefs has come to be seen as sleeker, more self-conscious perhaps, and a bit more domestic and stylish. Boxers, on the other hand, are both more comfortable and a little bit less civilized.
The truth is, many men will find it more practical to wear boxers sometimes and briefs others. Boxers allow things to stay a little bit cooler, which science has found important for fertility. They are more comfortable for more casual and loose wear.
However, boxers tend to be less comfortable and cause ugly lines under your dress pants. You’ll probably choose to wear briefs when you want to look your best and when you’re wearing professional clothes, and boxers at other times.
What to Look for in Boxer Briefs
To look and feel great in your briefs, shop carefully. Choose quality briefs and you won’t even know you’re wearing them. Performance boxer briefs are your best bet for briefs that check all of your boxes.
- Ventilation. Ventilation is essential for comfortable men's performance boxer briefs. The last thing that you want is to trap air and moisture in your briefs. Look for ventilation like Twillory’s GentVents to keep the air moving.
- Sweat-wicking. The fabric of your briefs should constantly wick away moisture, keeping you cool and dry. Moisture-wicking technology is absolutely essential if you want to stay comfortable and odor-free all day.
- Cooling technology. The best boxer briefs have added cooling technology to keep you as comfortable as possible.
- Anti-ride-up. Having the waistband of your briefs ride up is uncomfortable, and it's not easy to fix it in a work environment. Make sure that you choose a product that resists riding up.
- Resistant to wedgies. Nothing is worse than a wedgie in public. Make sure that your briefs inseam doesn't bunch up into wedgies when you walk or sit.
- Performance fabric. This fabric has some stretch to it, as well as being made of smooth, quality cotton, to give you freedom of movement to avoid dreaded chafing.
- Supportive. You want to look great in your pants, so choose briefs that give you excellent support.
- Soft. You need the softest, smoothest fabric against your skin, so settle for nothing less and consider a tag-free cotton boxer brief.
- Easy to care for. Choose cotton stretch boxer briefs that are machine wash. You don't want to have to go through any extra effort to take care of your undergarments, so be sure to check the product details for laundry instructions.
What Is a Performance Undershirt?
If you're looking for the best possible quality in your boxer briefs, you're probably also looking for a great undershirt to wear with your dress clothes. Performance undershirts do more to make you look your best and feel more comfortable than regular undershirts.
If you've been wearing a t-shirt as an undershirt, you'll really appreciate the difference that a performance undershirt offers. A great performance undershirt like this one by Twillory is made of cotton and rayon, with a little bit of spandex, to give you a sleek fit with just enough stretch to be perfectly comfortable.
Features like anti-rides sleeves and the perfect length to stay tucked will make this your favorite undershirt. Look for features like sweat-wicking and cooling technology to keep you comfortable throughout your workday.
Can You Wear Performance Briefs Every Day?
Performance briefs are comfortable enough for you to wear every day throughout your workday. You’ll probably find yourself wearing them when you want to look your best in your pants for social occasions as well.
That said, it’s best to give yourself a break from wearing briefs at the end of the day and relaxing around the house. Performance briefs are much cooler than other briefs, but it's still better to give yourself some time not wearing briefs when possible.
When Is It Important to Wear Briefs?
Dress pants. Wearing briefs is more important when you’re wearing dress pants, which tend to fit more tightly and have smoother lines. Boxers can be easily visible under dress pants.
Tight pants. Briefs are also important when you’re wearing other kinds of tight pants. If you like a tight fit in your jeans, you may want to wear briefs under them.
Does It Matter If You Fold Your Underwear?
Quality briefs have a bit of stretch in the material, which makes it less important that you fold them to avoid wrinkles. However, very deep wrinkles may stay in the fabric when you put the briefs on, creating a visible line under your pants and a crease against your skin. It’s best to fold briefs when they come out of the dryer.
What Color Briefs Should I Buy?
Most men wear primarily dark-colored pants, so it doesn’t matter much what color boxer briefs you choose. However, if you’ll be wearing light-colored pants, it’s wise to choose briefs closest to your skin tone. That way, you won’t be able to see the line of the briefs against your skin.
What Are the Best Performance Boxer Briefs?
The best performance boxer briefs are comfortable, breathable, and cool. Twillory offers great, high-quality performance boxer briefs at a very reasonable price with five-star customer reviews. They’re easy to take care of and make your dress pants look great. You’ll love how they feel, or rather, how you can’t feel them.