If you want to look your best, you need to hone in on the details of your clothes. Not just the shirt, but the pants. We are striving for optimum style here, gentlemen! So we need to scrutinize not just the fit, but the materials of our pants as well.
What's the Best Material for Men's Dress Pants?
It is far too easy to get swept up in the style, color, and brand, without paying attention to the material. Material is everything! After all, you're feeling these bad boys brush up against your legs all day.
I'm going to take a wild guess and say you haven't researched pants material before. Allow me. Let's take a look at the variety of dress pant materials on the market to help you decide which is best for you. 👇
Wool does not rhyme with cool, therefore it is not a "cool" choice anymore.😉 At one point, we'll admit, it was cool. It is probably one of the most common traditional materials for men's dress pants. Wool has many advantages which helped it hold the number one spot for so long, but it also has some distinct disadvantages.
Advantages of Wool
- Moisture-wicking. Wool naturally pulls moisture away from your skin and dries quickly, making it an excellent fit for dress pants that you want to stay dry.
- Keeps you warm. Unless you want to wear long underpants, you probably want dress pants that keep you nice and warm in very cold climates.
- Doesn't retain body odor. Wool suit pants made out of high-quality Merino wool tend not to retain body odor, which is a valuable trait in pants.
Disadvantages of Wool
- Expensive. Wool blends tend to be quite expensive, especially if you are choosing very high-quality wool pants.
- Delicate. Wool pants generally cannot be machine washed at home, and they wrinkle easily. Ironing can damage the delicate fibers.
- Itchy. Even the highest-quality wool tends to be itchier than other options, which can get to you if you're wearing your dress pants all day.
Cotton and cotton blends are pretty common in dress pants. They can be a great option, but if you ask me, might be synonymous with "boring." Don't ask me, ask the facts.
Advantages of Cotton
- Cool. If you're looking for pants that feel good in the summer or don't get too warm when you are in a heated office, cotton is the fabric of choice.
- Affordable. Cotton and cotton blends tend to be some of the more affordable options when you are choosing dress pants.
- Durable. Cotton dress pants can usually hold up just fine to being washed, dried and ironed at home.
Disadvantages of Cotton
- Retains moisture. Cotton tends to hold onto moisture, which means that you are more likely to be uncomfortable in your dress pants. Furthermore, since there's moisture retained, smell is retained also, which means that your linen suit pants may smell worse quicker than other fabrics.
- Shrinks. Cotton has a tendency to shrink in the wash, which means that while it is durable enough to hold after washing, it may not fit you as well afterward.
Advantages of Synthetics
- Cool and dry. Very high-quality synthetic fabrics, like those used to make Twillory's best seller men's dress pants, are designed to be both breathable and moisture-wicking. These dress pants stay cool and comfortable and also keep you dry. They also come in a variety of different fits ranging from slim fit pants to classic fit pants.
- Durable and non-iron dress pants. You can wash and dry your synthetic dress pants at home, and don't worry about ironing them thanks to premium no iron material. This means you'll save a lot of time and also look your best in your pants.
- Performance stretch. Lots of people don't realize how nice it is to have some comfort stretch in their dress pants until they try stretch pants. You'll be able to sit down all day in complete comfort and look great when you go to your late afternoon meeting. Many people think that stretch pants = casual pants like stretch chino pants, flat front pants, khaki pants, corduroy pants, or even denim pants. However, these amazing new arrivals have all the comfort and the formality of regular pleat-front dress pants to help you get through your workday.
Disadvantages of Synthetics
- Less traditional. Those who have been wearing wool dress pants for many years may have a hard time making the switch to synthetic.
- May cause allergies. If synthetic fabrics have bothered your allergies before, you may want to avoid them, but the vast majority of people aren't bothered by synthetic fabrics.
What to Look for When Picking out the Absolute Best Pair of Pants? ✍️
I'm just going to give it to you straight: synthetic dress pants are the best option. When wool, twill, gabardine, and cotton were the only options in dress pants, they worked just fine. Especially when it came to the classic pleated pants that came in a variety of different patterns like windowpane, houndstooth, herringbone, or plaid.
But this is 2022. And we're now smarter, wiser and far more advanced. Synthetics offer all the advantages of the old natural materials without worrying about the problems that come along with them. Plus, how can you beat the more affordable price of synthetic fabrics??
✅ Shirt Gripping Waistband
Now this, is epic. Pants that keep your shirt firmly in place mean that you have one less thing to worry about throughout your day.😎 You can tuck your dress shirt or polo in and forget about it. We have bigger problems to worry about, like which emails get top priority or what we're eating for lunch today.
✅ Pockets (especially with zippers / snug fit)
Don't settle for dress pants that skimp on pockets just because it's formal wear. Pockets = Success. Look for dress pants that offer travel pockets, including a zippered pocket so you don't have to worry about any of your trinkets going MIA.
✅ Excellent Synthetic Fabric
The best men's dress pants, like those designed by the ever-fabulous company I like to call Twillory, are made of a high-performing Japanese stretch fabric that eliminates moisture and delivers extraordinary airflow. It truly is as beautiful as it sounds.🥺
These pants stretch to keep you comfortable but look just like traditional dress pants. Dynamic 4-way stretch allows you to move your legs in literally in any direction while still looking great.
✅ Color Choices
As a general rule, it's best to choose neutral colors when picking out dress pants. Shades of grey and navy are always a safe choice. Along with black and charcoal, which match almost everything, so it's hard to go wrong. Then there's khaki. I mean, what person doesn't own khaki??
Choose Great Dress Pants for YOU
The best men's dress pants are made of a material that works for you. After all, it's your life, you're living it. But if I were you, I'd choose dress pants that are wrinkle-free, easy to clean, super comfortable, and look fabulous 24/7. So for most, a synthetic fabric is the perfect answer. 🤝
Stay stylin' my dudes!
P.S. If you're looking for reliable dress pants that don't suck, check these out...
All Men's Business Attire • Men's Performance Dress Pants & Shorts • Men's Navy Performance Fabric Dress Pants • Best Men's 5 Pocket Performance Pants • Stretch Denim Jeans For Men • Men's Performance Shorts • Men's Jogging Pants • Jogging Shorts For Men
Men's Navy Performance Fabric Dress Pants • Men's Charcoal Performance Dress Pants • Men's Blue Performance Dress Pants • Dark Grey Performance Dress Pants • Khaki Performance Dress Pants • Performance Grey Dress Pants • Men's Black Performance Dress Pants